For preparation of any Structural plan and the local area plan thereof (development of township), it’s a prerequisite for the Department of Human Settlement (DHS), MoWHS, to conduct a detailed geotechnical study of the area. In a similar line DHS engaged the services of APECS consultant to carry out detailed geotechnical study of the Haa valley and the consultant successfully concluded the study.
Following were the major scope of the assignment:
- Carry out field surveys to confirm desk study interpretation and gathered supplementary data
- Identify, assist and prepare instability inventory maps (landslides, erosion, debris flow, scouring, toe erosion, creep, subsidence, land degradation, rock fall, planner failure, wedge failure, toppling etc..).
- Identify and assess slope of the study area indicating the slope classification and level of hazards posed by topography including slope stability analysis of soil and rock slopes
- Identify and assess the strength of geological materials by conducting necessary field and laboratory test and analysis.
- Carry out field investigations-SPT/PPT, Pit excavation and sample collection for laboratory testing’s.
- Identify, assist and prepare geomorphologic maps for the instabilities
- To prepare geological, geomorphological, geotechnical slope, multi-hazard and mitigation structure maps.
- Assess the risks to existing infrastructures
- Inspect high risk locations to define potentials solutions
- Determine requirements for engineering structures such as retaining walls and complementary bioengineering applications
- To prepare of mitigation plan and detail mitigation measures needed to be adopted along with the cost estimates and timing for corrective measures and actions
- To prepare of BoQ for proposed mitigation structures