The assignment was to prepare flood management plan for Paro Dzongkhag. The management plan was mainly focThe assignment was to prepare flood management plan for Paro Dzongkhag. The management plan was mainly focused on managing flood along Pa Chhu, Do Chhu, and eight critical streams. The specific objective of the study was to; (i) assess flood threat to the settlement and prepare the flood management plan, (ii) to assess the potential adverse impacts of the flood hazard areas and (iii) to provide appropriate recommendation and mitigation measure to be adopted.
Following were the major scope of the assignment:
- Detail study of previous reports, maps. drawings, inventories etc.
- Stocktaking of different studies and investments ongoing and in pipeline in the region
- Undertake field trips to the identified hazard and risk areas to confirm desk studies, previous reports, hazard, vulnerability and risk mas and interpretation and gather supplementary data.
- Assess the impact/risk of flooding/debris flow on land use with particular emphasis on critical catchment areas, loss of agricultural and forest land, settlement and public infrastructures.
- Conduct various scenarios and model interventions (structural and non-structural) for flooding in the area.
- Propose the most suitable climate resilient measure and programs to control the flooding in the area.
- Provide detail design, drawings, estimate with rate analysis and specifications of all the structural measure proposed.
- Develop strategy to proceed with the implementation phase of the flood management plan including specification tasks, schedule and goals that will enable informed decisions based on the equity and fairness, practically and environmental soundness.
- Provide detail description of the non-structural measure to be implemented.
- Carryout socioeconomics analysis study on people, land and properties that could be protected from the flood hazard along the study area.
- Impart trainings and workshops.