Climate change is real and Bhutan, despite all odds of it being an environmental steward, is also an affected party to its wrath. While comprehensive climate models are yet to be prepared for Bhutan to evidently link disasters to climate change; several forms of natural disasters have occurred in Bhutan.
The steep river systems result in flash floods, the glacial lakes burst and cause floods, the fragile Himalayan geological conditions result in earthquakes and recurring landslides, while wind and hail storm destroy a farmer’s yearly harvest.
APECS is the leading science-based climate and disaster management consultancies in Bhutan’s and has had the opportunity to work with key focal agencies such as the National Environment Commission, Department of Disaster Management, and Department of Human Settlement.
Key Focus Areas
- Climate and disaster risk assessment
- Multi-hazard risk assessments
- Geotechnical and structural assessments
- Climate and disaster resilience planning
- Climate and disaster action planning
- Development of national action plans
- Climate communications
- Development of industry standards, protocols, and frameworks
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)